Milk Chocolate Marzen
5 gallons, extract with grains; OG = 1.050, FG = 1.020, IBU = 35
- 4 oz. Vienna malt
- 4 oz. Munich malt
- 8 oz. medium crystal malt (50° Lovibond)
- 5 lbs. amber dry malt extract
- 16 oz. milk chocolate candy bars
- 6 AAU Perle hops (3/4 oz. at 8% alpha acid)
- 4 AAU Spalter hops (1 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 pint starter Bavarian lager yeast (White Labs WLP820 or Wyeast 2206)
- 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
Step by Step:
Steep the Vienna, Munich and crystal malts in 2.5 gallons of cold water. Gradually raise heat to 150° F, hold 30 minutes. Remove grains and rinse them back into the pot with hot water. Stir in dry malt and candy bars, bring to boil. Boil 30 minutes, add Perle hops. Boil 30 minutes, add Spalter hops. Boil 30 minutes. Add chocolate syrup, remove from heat, cool 15 minutes.
Add to fermenter along with enough chilled, pre-boiled water to make 5.25 gallons. Cool to 65° F, pitch yeast. Seal and ferment for two weeks, rack to secondary and age in a cool dark place for a month. Prime with corn sugar and bottle. Bottle condition cold and dark for six weeks.