Peat Smoked Wee Heavy
5 gallons, partial mash; OG = 1.075 (18.75° Plato); TG = 1.020; Bitterness: 55 IBUs
- 6 lbs. pale malt
- 2 lbs. peated malt
- 0.75 lb. medium crystal malt, 55° Lovibond
- 0.25 lb. roasted barley
- 2 lbs. unhopped amber dry malt extract
- 0.5 lb. dark brown sugar
- 1.25 oz. Northern Brewer hops (8% alpha acid, 10 AAUs)
- 1.5 oz. Fuggles hops (4% alpha acid, 6 AAUs)
- Scottish ale yeast slurry (Wyeast 1728)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar for priming
Step by Step:
Heat 12 qt. water to 164° F. Crush grains, mix into liquor and hold 90 min. at 152° F. Runoff and sparge with 15 qt. at 168° F. (Collect the first 3 qt. of runnings in a saucepan and boil until the runoff and sparge is complete, for an intense caramelized flavor.) Add dry malt, mix well. Raise to boiling, add Northern Brewer hops.
Boil 60 min., add Fuggles hops, boil an additional 30 min. Remove from heat, cool and add to fermenter along with enough chilled pre-boiled water to make 5.25 gal. When cooled to 68° F, pitch yeast. Seal and ferment for three weeks at 65° F. Then rack to secondary and condition another five to six weeks at 50° F. Prime with brown sugar and bottle. Condition for three weeks at 45° F.