Mellow Brown Ale
5 gallons, partial mash; OG = 1.047 to 1.052
- 3.3 lbs. light malt extract syrup
- 1 lb. wheat malt extract
- 2 lbs. English two-row malt
- 1 lb. crystal malt, 40° Lovibond
- 0.5 lb. carapils malt
- 0.5 lb. Munich malt (optional)
- 0.5 lb. quick oats (optional)
- 0.25 lb. chocolate malt
- 2 oz. East Kent Goldings pellets (5% alpha acid): 1.5 oz. for 50 min., 0.5 oz. for 10 min.
- 1 tsp. Irish moss for 2 min.
- American ale yeast starter
Step by Step:
Brewing specifications will vary. This is a highly adaptable recipe, so clean your pantry, ferment as a traditional Brown Ale, age, and enjoy!