Rich Brown Ale
5 gallons; O.G. = 1.040; T.G. = 1.010
- 5 lbs. amber malt extract preferably British
- 1 lb. British caramel malt
- 1/2 lb. amber malt (see notes in text)
- 1/4 lb. chocolate malt
- 1 lb. dark brown sugar (or turbinado)
- 1-1/2 oz. Northern Brewer hops (for 75 min.)
- 1 oz. Goldings (for 30 min.)
- Yeast: Wyeast 1968
Crush caramel, amber, and chocolate malt and soak in one gallon of water at 150° F for 60 min. Rinse grains into kettle with one gallon more hot water (no more than 170° F). Add malt extract and bring to boil. Add sufficient water to keep volume at 2.5 gallons. Add the brown sugar for the last 30 minutes of boil. Total boil time is 90 minutes.
Cool by adding to 2.5 gallons of pre-boiled water; when temperature of wort falls below 80° F, pitch yeast. Aerate well! (Open fermentation works very well here.)
When primary fermentation is complete, rack to secondary and follow normal brewing procedures.