Wild Blossom Blanc de Fleur clone
5 gallon/19 L, honey, wine and flavorings; OG = 1.095; FG = 1.005–1.010; ABV = 12%
12 lbs. (5.4 kg) light honey
4 tsp. DAP (diammonium phosphate or good yeast nutrient)
1/4 tsp. grape tannin
1 tsp. elderflowers
2 pkg. Red Star Côte des Blanc yeast
1/4 tsp. potassium metabisulphite
3 tsp. potassium sorbate
Quick Clear to fine
1 cup honey (to back sweeten)
1/2 gallon (1.9 L) dry white wine
2 tsp. acid blend
Step by Step:
1. Bring honey and water to boiling and cool.
2. Add DAP, grape tannin and elderflower.
3. Mix well to aerate.
4. Rehydrate yeast and pitch.
5. Ferment 15 to 25 days in primary. 30 to 50 days in secondary.
6. Rack and add potassium metabisulphite, 3 tsp potassium sorbate and acid blend. Let stand10 days.
7. After 10 days add dry white wine, honey to taste.
8. Let stand. Top up with N2 gas until clear.
9. When clear, bottle.
This mead is best when aged six months or more. Bottle the mead still (uncarbonated).