Apricot Harvest Wit
Ben’s Homebrew, Tarentum, Pennsylvania
5 gallons/19 L, extract;
OG = 1.054 FG = 1.014; IBU = 30 SRM = 3+ ABV = 5.2%
- 6 lbs. (2.7 kg) Briess Bavarian Wheat dried malt extract
- 8 AAU Saaz hops (45 mins) (2 oz./57 g of 4% alpha acids)
- 2 tsp. crushed coriander
- 0.5 oz (14 g) bitter orange peel
- 1 can Oregon apricot fruit puree
- White Labs WLP400 (Belgian Wit Ale) yeast
Step by Step:
Add 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of cool water to your kettle and add the
wheat malt extract. Bring to a boil and add 2 oz. (57 g) of Saaz hops.
Boil for 45 minutes and add crushed coriander and bitter orange peel.
Boil for 15 minutes. Cool wort and siphon to fermenter. Top up to five
gallons (19 L), aerate and pitch yeast. Wait seven days then transfer
to secondary and the can of Oregon apricot fruit puree. Wait five to
seven days and bottle.
Replace DME with 6.0 lbs (2.7 kg) Briess two-row malt and 3.75 lbs. (1.7 kg) wheat malt. Mash with 3.0 gallons (11 L) of water at 152 °F (67 °C) for 60 minutes. Batch sparge with 4.8 gallons (18 L) of water and collect a total of 6.5 gallons (25 L) of wort.