Bee Hive Blonde Ale
5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains; OG = 1.055 FG = 1.014; IBU = 23 SRM = 7+ ABV = 5.3%
- 6.0 lbs. (2.7 kg) Briess Pilsen light liquid malt extract
- 0.5 lbs. (.23 kg) honey malt
- 2.0 lbs. (0.9 kg) honey
- 4.1 AAU Mt. Hood hops (60 mins) (0.75 oz./21 g at 5.5% alpha acids)
- 4.5 AAU Summit hops (15 mins) (0.25 oz./7 g at 18% alpha acids)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Summit hops (0 mins)
- White Labs WLP051 (California Ale V) yeast
- 1 Whirlfloc tablet or 1 tsp Irish moss
- 5 oz. (142 g) corn sugar (for priming)
Step by Step:
Add 2 gallons (7.6 L) filtered water to boiling pot. Add grain bag to water and heat water to 155–160 °F (68–71 °C). Let rest for 30 minutes. Remove grain bag and add extracts and honey.
until completely dissolved, then add filtered water to make 6.5 gallons
Heat wort to boiling, then add Mt. Hood hops. Boil for 45 minutes. Add Whirlfloc tablet or Irish moss. Add first addition of Summit hops. Boil 15 more minutes, add second edition of Summit hops and turn off heat.
Remove from heat, stir for several minutes (this will cause the solids to settle in the middle of the pot). Cool wort down to 75 °F (24 °C) and transfer to fermenter.
Aereate wort, then add yeast. Ferment until final gravity (FG) is less then 1.010. Mix corn sugar with 1 cup water, bring to boil, and then cool to room temperature. Transfer beer to bottling bucket, add corn sugar solution.
Bottle condition for at least two weeks.