Birch Sap Lager
5 gallons/19 L, extract; OG = 1.052; FG = 1.013; IBU = 37; SRM = 3; ABV = 5.1% (stats do not take birch sap into account)
- 5.8 lbs. extra light dried malt extract
- 6.9 AAU Northern Brewer whole hops (60 mins)
- (0.76 oz./22 g of 9% alpha acids)
- 4.0 AAU Hallertauer whole hops (30 mins) (1.0 oz./28 g of 4% alpha acids)
- 5.0 gallons (19 L) birch sap
- White Labs WLP820 (Octoberfest/Märzen) yeast
Step by Step:
Heat birch sap slowly and bring to boil. Add malt extract. Bring to boil. Total boil time is 60 minutes. At boil, add Northern Brewer hops. Pitch Hallertauer hops at final 30 minutes of boil. At final 15 minutes of boil, add Irish Moss for clarity.
At end of boil, chill wort and pitch yeast. Primary ferment for 10 days at 63 °F (17 °C) Secondary ferment for 2.5 months at 46 °F (7.7 °C). Cold filter and serve from a keg.