Coffee Imperial Stout
5 gal/19L, all-grain; OG: 1.067; FG: 1.016; IBU: 70; SRM: 35
- 8.0 lbs. (3.9 kg) 2-row pale malt
- 2.25 lbs. (1 kg) crystal (60–80° L)
- 1.5 lbs. (0.7 kg) wheat malt
- 1.25 lbs. (0.6 kg) chocolate malt
- 0.5 lb. (0.2 kg) roasted barley
- 0.5 lb. (0.2 kg) black patent malt
- 18.75 AAU Northern Brewer hops (bittering) (2.5 oz./71 g of 7.5% alpha acids)
- 1.5 oz. (42 g) finishing hops (Northern Brewer or Cascade)
- 15 oz. (445 mL) of espresso
- Ale yeast (your choice)
Step by Step:
Mash in all grains at 149° F (65° C). Hold until converted, about 1 hour. Mash off at 170º F (77° C) and begin lautering. Sparge to achieve eight gallons (30 L) of wort. Bring to a boil and add 2.5 oz. (71 g) boiling hops. Total boil is 70 minutes. After the boil, turn off the heat and add 1.5 oz. (43 g) finish hops for five minutes. Cool to 70º F (21° C) and ferment with ale yeast.
Original gravity goal is 17.5° Plato (1.069 SG). Terminal gravity will be pretty high, approximately 1.016. Add espresso at end of primary fermentation, bottle and enjoy!