Abita Turbo Dog clone
5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains; OG = 1.054; FG = 1.014; IBU = 32–34
- 5 lbs. (2.25 kg) Muntons unhopped light dry malt extract
- 1.25 lbs. (0.56 kg) crystal malt (Schreier crystal 100 or Muntons crystal dark)
- 0.50 lbs. chocolate malt (Schreier chocolate or Muntons chocolate)
- 7 AAUs Chinook hop pellets (0.6 oz. of 12% alpha acid)
- 5 AAUs Willamette hop pellets (1.25 oz. of 4% alpha acid)
- 6 AAUs Willamette (1.5 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
- White Labs WLP004 (Irish Ale) or Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) yeast
- 3/4-cup corn sugar or 1 cup unhopped dried malt extract
Step by step
Heat specialty grain in 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of water at 152 ºF (52 ºC) for 45 minutes. Remove grains, add dry malt extract, bring to a boil and add 1 oz. (28 grams) Chinook hops.
Boil for 85 minutes and add 1.25 oz. (35 grams) Willamette hops. Boil five minutes and remove from heat. Hold wort on the stove without heat for a rest, then add 1.5 oz. (35 grams) Willamette hops. Boil five minutes and remove from heat. Hold wort on the stove without heat for a rest, then add 1.5 oz. (35 grams) Willamette hops and let the wort settle for 15 minutes. Bring up to 5.25 gallons (20 L) with chilled, preboiled water.
Cool to 60 ºF (15.5 ºC), add yeast, aerate and let ferment for five
to six days at 55–58 ºF (13–14 ºC), or at the lower end of your yeast
manufacturers recommended fermentation temperature (at about 1.016).
Cool to around 45 ºF (7 ºC) and age for one week before racking into
bottles or kegs.
Cut out DME and use 7.5 lbs. (3.4 kg) pale malt (Schreier special pale or Muntons pale). Heat 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) to 160 ºF (71 ºC) in a brew pot and slowly mix in milled malt. Hold at 152 ºF (67 ºC) for 45 minutes, then heat the thick mash to 172 ºF (78 ºC) and hold for five minutes. Transfer to lauter unit and run-off first wort (should hit 1.070). Sparge with 3.75 gallons (14.25 L) at 172 ºF (78 ºC). Bring wort to boil and proceed as above.