Abita Amber clone
5 gallons/19 L extract with grains; OG = 1.043; FG = 1.010; SRM = 11; IBU =18; ABV = 3.4%
- 8 oz. (226 g) U.S. 40 ºL Crystal malt
- 4 oz. (113 g) Munich malt
- 1 oz. (28 g) U.S. chocolate malt
- 4 lbs. (1.8 kg) Alexander’s pale malt extract syrup
- 1.75 lbs. (793 g) Muntons extra light dried malt extract
- 1/3 oz. (9 g) Chinook at 12 % AA (4 HBU) (bittering hop)
- 1/4 oz. (7 g) Crystal (flavor hop)
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) Irish Moss
- 1/4 oz. (7 g) Perle (aroma hop)
- Wyeast 2308 (Munich lager) yeast (ferment at 47–52 ºF/ 8–11 ºC for four weeks then at 57–62 ºF(14–17 ºC) for the remainder of fermentation.)
- Wyeast 2206 (Bavarian lager) yeast (ferment at 47–52 ºF/8–11 ºC)
- 1.25 cups (300 mL) Muntons extralight dry malt extract (for bottling)
Heat 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water to 155 ºF (68 ºC). Add Crystal, U.S. 40 ºL Munich and U.S. chocolate malts. Remove the pot from the heat and steep at 150 ºF (66 ºC) for 30 minutes. Strain the grain water into the brew pot. Sparge the grains with 1/2 gallon (1.9 L) of 150 ºF (68 ºC) water. Bring the water to a boil, remove from the heat and add Alexander’s pale malt extract syrup, Muntons extra light dried malt extract and Chinook bittering hops.
Add water until the total volume in the brew pot is 2.5 gallons (9.5 L). Boil for 45 minutes then add: Crystal flavor hops and Irish Moss. Boil for 10 minutes and Perle aroma hop. Boil for five minutes. Remove the pot from the stove and chill the wort for 20 minutes.
Strain the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 51/8 gallons (19.5 L). When the wort temperature is below 80 ºF (26.6 ºC) pitch the yeast. Keep the primary fermenter at 60–62 ºF (16–17 ºC) until fermentation begins (approximately one day). Move the primary fermenter to 47–52 ºF (8–11 ºC) and ferment for seven days or until fermentation slows. Siphon the wort into the secondary fermenter (5 gallon glass carboy).
Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and
beer has cleared (approximately five weeks) with the 1.25 cups (300 mL)
Muntons extra light dry malt extract (boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups
(473 mL) of water). Let prime at 70 ºF (21 ºC) for approximately four
weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature.
Mash 2.25 lbs. (1.02 kg) U.S. 2-row pale malt and the specialty
grains at 150 ºF (65.6 ºC) for 90 minutes. Then follow the extract
recipe omitting 1.75 lbs. (0.79 kg) Muntons extra light dry malt
extract at the beginning of the boil.
Mash 7.5 lbs. (3.4 kg) U.S. 2-row pale malt with the specialty grains at 122 ºF (50 ºC) for 25 minutes then at 140 ºF (65.1 ºC) for 90 minutes. Add 3.3 HBU (18 % less than the extract recipe) of bittering hops for 60 minutes of the boil. Add the flavor hops, Irish Moss and Aroma hops as indicated by the extract recipe.