Real Ale Brewing Co's Brewhouse Brown Ale clone
5 gallons/ 19 L extract with grain; OG = 1.055; FG = 1.014; IBU = 32; SRM = 23; ABV = 5.5 %
- 3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) Muntons unhopped light malt extract
- 2.25 lb. (1 kg) light dried malt extract
- 1.25 lb. (0.56 kg) crystal malt (60 ºL)
- 10 oz. (0.28 kg) Vienna malt
- 0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) chocolate malt
- 1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient (15 min.)
- 8.25 AAU English Target hop pellets (60 min.) (0.75 oz./21 g of 11.0% alpha acid)
- 1.25 AAU Willamette hop pellets (10 min.) (.25 oz./7g of 5% alpha acid)
- White Labs WLP 002 (English Ale) or Wyeast 1098 (British Ale) yeast
- 0.75 cup (150 g) of corn sugar for priming (if bottling)
Step by Step
Steep the crushed grain in 3 gallons (11.4 L) of water at 155 ºF (68
ºC) for 30 minutes. Remove grains from the wort, add the liquid extract
and bring to a boil. Add the first additions of English Target hops and
boil for 60 minutes.
During the boil, use this time to thoroughly sanitize a fermenter. Add the yeast nutrient after 45 minutes of boiling. Add the last addition of Willamette hops and boil for final 10 minutes of the boil. Now add the wort to 2 gallons (7.6 L) of cold water in the sanitized fermenter and top off with cold water up to 5 gallons (19 L).
Cool the wort to 75 ºF (24 ºC). Pitch your yeast and aerate the wort heavily. Allow the beer to cool to 68 ºF (20 ºC). Hold at that temperature until fermentation is complete. Transfer to a carboy, avoiding any splashing to prevent aerating the beer. Let the beer condition for one week and then bottle or keg. Allow to carbonate for 2 weeks and enjoy your brown ale!
This is a single step infusion mash. Replace the malt syrup and DME
with 8.5 lbs. (3.83 kg) 2-row pale malt and 1 lb. (0.45 kg) Munich
malt. The other grains remain the same. Mix the crushed grain with 4
gallons (15.2 L) of 170 °F (77 °C) water to stabilize at 154 ºF (68 ºC)
for 60 minutes. Sparge slowly with 175 ºF
(79 ºC) water.
Collect approximately 6 gallons (23 L) of wort runoff to boil for 60 minutes. Reduce the first addition (60 minute) of English Target hops to 6.6 AAU (0.6 oz./17 g) due to the higher utilization factor for a full wort boil. The remainder of this recipe is the same as the extract with grain recipe.