5 gallons, partial mash; OG = 1.060 (15° Plato); TG = 1.018; Bitterness: 28 IBUs
- 3 lbs. lager malt
- 2.5 lbs. rauchmalt
- .5 lb. carapils malt
- .5 lb. Vienna malt
- 2.5 lb. unhopped light dry malt extract
- 1 oz. Hallertau hops (4% alpha acid, 4 AAUs)
- 1 oz. Tettnang hops (4% alpha acid, 4 AAUs)
- Munich lager yeast slurry (Wyeast 2308)
- 3/4 cup corn sugar or 1 cup light dry malt extract for priming
Step by Step:
Heat 10 qt. water to 164° F. Crush grains, mix into liquor and hold 90 min. at 152° F. Runoff and sparge with 14 qt. at 168° F. Add the dry malt to kettle, mix well. Raise to boiling, add Hallertau hops. Boil 60 min., add Tettnang hops, boil 30 min.
Remove from heat, cool and add to fermenter along with enough chilled pre-boiled water to make 5.25 gal.
When cooled to 65° F, pitch yeast. Seal and ferment for two days at 55° F, then move to cooler place and ferment a further two weeks at 45° F, rack to secondary and condition six weeks at 38° F. Prime with corn sugar or dry malt extract and bottle. Condition six weeks at 35° F.