Pale ale’s done. Or I’m calling it done. It spent nearly two weeks dry-hopping on Mosaic. Those little green buds better have helped this beer out (read: counteract the sweetness and covered any flaws).
I’m ready to bottle and am eager to taste this creation as it moves out of the carboy.
I’m also curious to know whether additional fermentation occurred with the any of the remnant yeast hanging out in the secondary. So I took a gravity reading. The sample I pulled for my gravity reading tasted not bad. As in, not great, but not bad. But the gravity hadn't moved significantly. And, it’s darker than your average pale, approaching amber.
I diluted ¾ cups of corn sugar and dropped that into the carboy. My last brew was over-carbonated and just about every bottle that I popped had me running to the sink to deal with a fountain of brown foam. So this time around I was especially careful to be exact in my measurement of corn sugar. And, after I added the sugar to the batch I gave the whole thing a gentle stir for a couple of minutes with my auto-siphon to make sure it was fully integrated. I'm able to tell now by the sound the cap makes on opening whether or not a beer is over-carbonated or not and I really don't want to deal with another case of wasted beer....