Northern India Pale Ale
5 gallons, extract/specialty grains
- 6 lbs. gold light malt extract
- 3.3 lbs. amber light malt extract
- 0.5 lb. crystal malt, 50° Lovibond
- 0.5 lb. toasted malt, 25° Lovibond
- 2 oz. Cascade hops (7% alpha acid), for 60 min.
- 1 oz. Willamette hops (4.8% alpha acid), for 5 min.
- 1 oz. East Kent Goldings hops (5.5% alpha acid), for 5 min.
- Wyeast 1098 (British ale)
Step by Step:
Heat 3.5 gals. of water to 170° F, pour grains into steeping bag and add to water for 15 minutes. Remove grains and add malt extract and 1 oz. of Cascade hops. When wort begins to boil, add another 1 oz. of Cascade hops. Boil 55 minutes and add Willamette and East Kent Goldings hops. Boil 5 more minutes. Total boil is 60 minutes. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Top off to 5 gals. Add yeast and ferment 10 to 14 days. Bottle or transfer to secondary when fermentation is complete. Prime with corn sugar. Drink and enjoy in moderation!