Old Coot Strong Brown Ale
- 8 oz. roasted barley
- 4 oz. British crystal malt
- 4 lbs. dark liquid extract, unhopped
- 2 lbs. demerara sugar
- 1 cup black strap molasses
- 1/2 lb. malto-dextrin
- 1.5 oz. Northern Brewer pellets (7% alpha)
- 2.5 oz. Fuggles pellets (4.5% alpha)
- 1 tsp. Irish moss
- Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast
Step by Step:
Two to three days before brewing, activate yeast and make a starter. On brew day crush the grains, wrap them in a straining bag, and steep them in the brew pot, keeping the water
around 160° F for 30 minutes.
Remove the grains, let them drain into the brewpot, and discard. Bring liquid to a boil, remove from heat, and add malt extract. Stir well. Return to boil. Add sugar and malto-dextrin and stir well. Return to boil. Add Northern Brewer hops and 0.5 oz. Fuggles and boil 45 minutes. Add 1.5 oz. Fuggles and Irish moss and boil 15 minutes more. Cool, rack to fermenter, and pitch starter.