Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone
- 8 oz. caramel malt, 30° Lovibond
- 6 oz. DeWolf-Cosyns cara-pils malt
- 6 lbs. light malt syrup
- 1.5 oz. Perle hops (8.2% alpha acid) for 60 min.
- 2.5 oz. Cascade hops (5.4% alpha acid): 1 oz. for 15 min., 1 oz. for 5 min., 0.5 oz. pellets (dry hopping).
- Wyeast 1056 (American ale)
- 11/4 cup dry malt extract
Step by Step:
Add grains to 1.5 gal. water. Bring slowly to 170° F. Remove grains and bring to a boil.
Total boil is 60 min. Boil 10 min. and add Perle hops. Boil 45 min. more, adding water as needed to maintain liquid level. Make first Cascade addition. Boil 5 min. more.
Turn off heat. Wait 10 min. Add 1 oz. Cascade. Wait 3 to 5 min. Remove hops and transfer to fermenter.
Top up to 5 gal. Pitch yeast at 70° F.
Ferment three days and rack to secondary. Dry hop with 0.5 oz. Cascade pellets. Ferment two weeks at 65° F. Prime and bottle.