Rocky Mountain Red Metheglin
- 3 lbs. (1.4 kg) orange blossom honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/8 tsp. (about 1/2 g) ground cloves
- 2 tsp. (10 g) fresh grated orange zest
- 2 large oranges, juiced
- 8 Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger tea bags
- 1 tsp. (5 g) pectic enzyme
- 1 tsp. (5 g) acid blend
- 1-1/2 cups (360 mL) orange juice
- 1 tsp. (5 grams) yeast nutrient
- 1 pkg. Montrachet yeast (5 to 7 g)
- 1/4 tsp. (1 g) grape tannin
Step by Step:
Boil the honey in water (1 part honey to 2 parts water) in a large pot for 10 to 20 minutes, skimming off the foam. Add the cinnamon, cloves, orange zest and juice. Let cool and transfer the honey-water mixture to a two-gallon plastic container. Brew the tea by steeping in 2 cups of boiling water. Add the tea to the honey and spices. Add acid, pectic enzyme and water to make one gallon. Add campden tablet and let sit, well-covered, for 24 hours.
Make a yeast starter culture by combining the yeast and yeast nutrient with the tepid orange juice. Cover, shake vigorously and let stand until bubbly (1 to 3 hours), then add to the must.
Add the tannin. Allow to ferment. Rack after the most vigorous fermentation into a one gallon, airlocked fermenter. Rack into another airlocked fermenter in 3 months and again in 6 months. Rack again just before bottling, about a year after fermentation started. Bottle and cork and store for 6 months in a cool cellar.