Rhodan's Back (Amber Acid Ale)
5 gallons/19 L, countertop partial mash; OG = 1.053; FG = 1.006; IBU = 15; SRM = 17; ABV = 5.4%
- 3.0 lbs. (1.4 kg) Vienna malt
- 8.0 oz. (0.23 kg) CaraMunich® Type II malt (45 °L)
- 5.0 oz. (0.14 kg) aromatic malt
- 3.0 oz. (85 g) special B malt
- 2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) wheat dried malt extract
- 3.0 lbs. (1.8 kg) light liquid malt extract
- 4 AAU Mt. Hood hops (60 mins) (1.o oz./28 g of 5%alpha acids)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) oak cubes (medium toast)
- Two (11 g) packs Danstar Nottingham dried yeast
- Wyeast 5335 (Lactobacillus delbrückii) or White Labs WLP677 (Lactobacillus) bacteria
- Wyeast 5733 (Pediococcus cerevisiae) bacteria
- Wyeast 5526 (Brettanomyces lambicus) or White Labs WLP653 (Brettanomyces lambicus) yeast
Step by Step:
Heat 5.5 qts. (5.2 L) of water to 165 °F (74 °C) and pour into a 2-gallon (7.6-L) beverage cooler. Place crushed grains in a nylon steeping bag (or disposable paint strainer) and slowly submerge grains in hot water. Use a large brewing spoon to stir grains and water thoroughly. Mash, starting at 154 °F (68 °C), for 45 minutes. (The temperature will drop — perhaps as low as 149 °F (65 °C) — over this time period. This is fine.) Note the liquid level in the cooler. Towards the end of the mash period, heat 0.5 gallon (1.9 L) of water to a boil in your brewpot. In addition, in a large soup pot, heat
5.5 qts. (5.2 L) of water to 180 °F (82 °C).
When the mash is finished, recirculate 3.0 qts. (2.8 L) of wort, then run off all of the wort. Add wort to the boiling water in your brewpot. Add 180 °F (82 °C) water to cooler until liquid is at the previous level. Stir grains, let them sit for 5 minutes, then recirculate and run off the second wort.
Bring the wort — about 3.0 gallons (11 L) total — to a boil. Upon boiling, turn off the heat and stir in the wheat dried malt extract. Resume heating and return the wort to a boil. Add Mt. Hood hops and boil for 60 minutes.
With 15 minutes remaining in the boil, stir in liquid malt extract. (Stir well to avoid scorching.) After boil, cool brewpot in sink (or with wort chiller) until side of brewpot is cool to the touch. Transfer wort to bucket fermenter and add cool water to make 5 gallons (19 L). Aerate wort and pitch dried yeast. Let ferment at 70 °F (21 °C).
When primary fermentation slows, open bucket and pitch Lactobacillus and Pediococcus cultures. Let beer condition, in the primary bucket, for 3–4 months at 70–80 °F (21–27 °C).
After this period, add Brettan-omyces culture and oak cubes, then rack beer to a glass carboy. (Soak oak cubes in beer for 2 weeks prior to adding them. If you happen to have some wine that has turned to vinegar, add a few drops to the soaking beer.) Age for another 6–9 months at 60–70 °F (16–21 °C), then keg and carbonate the beer.