Borrowed Bottle Gingered Golden Ale
- 3.5 lb. light dry malt extract
- 1 oz. East Kent Goldings hops
- 1.5 lb. orange blossom honey
- 1/2 tsp. Irish moss
- 0.5 oz. Fuggles hops
- Yeast Labs A04 British ale yeast (or other ale yeast)
- 5 oz. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2/3 cup priming sugar
Step by Step:
Dissolve light dry malt extract in five gallons of water and stir while bringing to the boil. Add East Kent Goldings hops and boil for 45 minutes. Add honey and Irish moss and boil for an additional 15 minutes.
Add Fuggles finishing hops and turn off heat to kettle. Adjust wort volume to five gallons. Original gravity should be between 1.042 and 1.046.
Cool wort to 70° to 80° F and add yeast. Ferment at room temperature until fermentation stops. Rack beer to secondary fermenter and add the fresh, grated ginger.
Bottle beer after leaving it in the secondary fermenter for four days.