Half Moon Bay
4 gallons; OG = 1.048;
- 6 lbs. pilsner malt
- 14 oz. Munich light malt
- 1.25 oz. Northern Brewer hops (6.4% acid alpha), for 90 min.
- 1 oz. Saaz hops (3% alpha), add at end of boil, cover pot for 5 min.
Step by Step:
1. Add 4 qts. water at 100° F for 96° F.
2. When mash temp = 94° F, add 2 qts. boiling water for 124° F.
3. When mash temp = 120° F, add 5 qts. boiling for 156° F.
Acid/glucan rest: 95° F, 15 min, Protein rest: 122° F, 20 min, Sacch. rest: 155° F, 45 min
The total added water for this recipe should remain under 11 qts.
These infusions assume your water boils at 212° F and that you’re using the bottling bucket mash tun. The infusion volumes given are approximate and assume the mash temperature has dropped to the indicated temperatures at about the proper rest duration.
If your mash tun is an insulated cooler, you’ll need to add less water because at the recommended rest duration mash temperature will have dropped less than for the bottling bucket mash tun. You should do the infusions when the rest duration is over. If you are at high altitudes (say above 4,500 ft.), then you’ll need to add a little more water for rests two and three.