Rudder Common Beer
5 gallons, extract; OG = 1.050; TG = 1.010
- 4 lbs. Alexander’s extra pale malt extract
- 3 lbs. Laaglander light dry malt extract
- 0.5 lb. American crystal malt
- 0.25 lb. flaked barley
- 1 lb. two-row lager malt
- 3 oz. Northern Brewer hops (7.2% alpha acid), 2.5 oz. for 75 min., 0.5 oz. for 30 min.
- Large yeast starter (such as 0.5 gal. of Wyeast 2112)
Crush malts and soak them with flaked barley in 1 gal. water at 150° F for 60 minutes. Sparge grains with 170° F water, collecting a total of 2.5 to 3 gals. for boil. Add malt extract. Boil 15 minutes. Add 2.5 oz. hops. Boil 45 minutes. Add 0.5 oz. hops. Boil 30 minutes more. Total boil is 90 minutes.
Strain wort into 2.5 gals. pre-boiled, chilled water (to make 5 gals.). Pitch yeast. If feasible use an open fermenter for primary, then rack to secondary when kraeusen falls. Follow normal bottling or kegging procedures.