Old Glory (Barleywine)
5 gallons, extract; OG = 1.090; FG = 1.022-1.028
- 9 lbs. pale liquid malt extract
- 6 lbs. amber malt extract
- 1.5 oz Galena hops (10% alpha acid) for 60 min.
- 4 oz. Cascade hops (5% alpha acid) 1 oz. for 30 min., 2 oz. at end of boil, 1 oz. dry hopped in the secondary
- Wyeast 1056 (American ale yeast)
- 1/2 cup priming sugar
Step by Step:
Dissolve malt extract into 4 gal. of hot water and top up to 6 gal. Total boil is 90 min. Boil for 30 min. and then add 1.5 oz. Galena hops. Boil 30 min. more and add 1 oz. Cascade hops. Boil 30 min. more, turn off heat, and add 2 oz. Cascade. Cool and aerate. Pitch yeast at 70° F.
Ferment at 60° to 70° F. Add 1 oz. Cascade dry hops in the secondary and age for one to two months before bottling with corn sugar and fresh yeast.