Kraig's Chocolate Raspberry Ale
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
- 6.6 lbs. (3 kg) Muntons light liquid malt extract
- 1 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt 20 °L
- 4 oz. (113 g) chocolate malt
- 4 bags (12 oz./340 g) red raspberries
- 6 oz. (170 g) unsweetened, dark chocolates
- 7.5 AAU Fuggle pellet hops (55 minutes) (1.5 oz./43 g at 5% alpha acids)
- 1 oz. East Kent Goldings pellet hops (last five minutes)
- Wyeast 1098 (British Ale) liquid yeast
- 3⁄4 Cup corn sugar (for priming)
Step by Step:
Mill or coarsely crack the crystal and chocolate grains. Place the grains in one gallon (3.8 L) of water. Heat until 150 °F (66 °C). Remove pot from heat and wait for sparge water to reach 170 °F (77 °C).
Sparge into brew kettle.
Add the malt extract to the brew kettle. Increase brew kettle liquid to 3 gallons (11 L). Stir well. Bring liquid to a boil.
When 55 minutes remain, add Fuggle hop pellets. When 15 minutes remain, add unsweetened, dark chocolate. Stir well. When 5 minutes remain, add East Kent Goldings pellet hops.
Cool the wort then transfer to the primary fermenter. Add enough clean water to get 5 gallons (19 L) and pitch the yeast.
After two weeks, add the red raspberries and transfer the beer from the primary to the secondary fermenter. Avoid splashing. When the hydrometer reading is at or near 1.012, bottle with corn sugar.
Allow to bottle condition for three to four months before serving.