Gary Foster's Spotted Dog (California Common)
5 gallons/19 L, all-grain; OG = 1.050; FG = 1.011; IBU = 37; SRM = 12; ABV = 4.5%
- 8 lbs. (3.6 kg) domestic, Great Western 2-row pale malt
- 9 oz. (255 g) crystal malt 60 °L
- 6 oz. (170 g) Victory malt
- 3 oz. (85 g) pale chocolate malt (200 °L)
- 6 oz. (170 g) wheat malt
- 22.5 AAU Northern Brewer hop pellets (2.5 oz./71 g of 9.0% alpha acids) at 10 mins.
- 9 AAU Northern Brewer hop pellets (1 oz./28 g of 9.0% alpha acids) at 5 mins.
- 9 AAU Northern Brewer hop pellets (1 oz./28 g of 9.0% alpha acids) at 1 min.
White Labs WLP810 (San Francisco Lager) yeast
Mash at 154 °F (68 °C) for 60 minutes. Sparge to collect 6 gallons (23 L). Boil for 60 minutes. Add first hop addition with 10 minutes left in the boil. Add whirlfloc at 5 minutes along with second hop addition.
Add final hop addition at 1 minute (yes, there is no 60 minute hop addition, this is not a typo).
Chill quickly to below 70 °F (21 °C). Pitch a 2 L yeast starter and ferment at 65 °F (18 °C) for approximately two weeks (leave it on the yeast this extra time to help clean things up).
Crash cool to 50 °F (10 °C) a few days prior to kegging or bottling to settle out the yeast. Keg or bottle and lager at 34 °F (1 °C) for 1 month.
You will not need to dry hop this beer, the hop aroma and flavor will be quite enough.