Buzz’ard Double Chocolate Espresso Stout
5 gal/19L, extract with grain; OG: 1.072; FG: 1.020; IBU: 56; SRM: 35
- 8 lbs. (3.6 kg) Alexander’s dark malt extract syrup
- 0.5 lb. (0.2 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)
- 0.5 lb. (0.2 kg) chocolate malt
- 0.5 lb. (0.2 kg) roasted barley
- 1 lb. (0.45 kg) Ghirardelli Select Brown chocolate powder
- 15 AAU Northern Brewer hops (2 oz./57 g of 7.5% alpha acids)
- 0.5 lb. (0.2 kg) espresso beans, fine ground, brewed to 1 gallon (3.8 L) of coffee
- Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast
Step by Step:
Place grains in 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of water, heat to 170º F (77° C), let sit for 25 minutes. Return to boil, dissolve extract. Return to boil. Add 1-1/2 oz. (43 g) hops and chocolate (add slowly and stir constantly so it doesn’t stick and burn on the bottom). At 45 minutes add 1/2 oz. (14 g) hops. At 60 minutes, turn off the boil. Chill to 88° F (31° C) and add to carboy with 1-1/2 gallons (5.7 L) water.
Pitch yeast (built up as a one-quart starter with DME) at 78º F (26° C). After primary is complete, rack to secondary, store in cool place (below 60º F or 16° C) for 45 days. Rack to bottling bucket, add one gallon (3.8 L) room temperature coffee and 3/4 cup bottling sugar. Stir well to mix and then bottle.