Welch Kiwanda Cream Ale
5 gallons, all-grain; OG 1.048–1.050; FG 1.009–1.011; IBU 25–30; ABV 4.9–5.1%
- 6.5 lbs. two-row malt (2° L or lighter)
- 0.5 lbs. CaraPils (2° L or lighter)
- 0.5 lbs. malted wheat (2.5° L or lighter)
- 3 AAU Mount Hood hops (flavor) (0.6 oz. at 5% alpha acid)
- 8 AAU Mt. Hood hops (aroma) (1.6 oz. at 5% alpha acid)
- Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001 yeast
- 1 tsp Irish moss
- 1.0 cup corn sugar
Step by Step:
Mash at 150° F for 90 minutes. Re-circulate until bright, then sparge at 170° F, stopping when run-off gravity drops below 1.010 SG. Boil for 90 minutes. Add flavor hops last 15 minutes.
Whirlpool the kettle, add aroma hops and let stand for 20–30 minutes to separate hot break and most of the hop fragments. The whirlpooling and stand time will allow some of the alpha acids in the aroma hops to isomerize, and should give you adequate bitterness. Chill, aerate well, and ferment at 65° F.
Carbonate to 2.4–2.5 volumes of carbon dioxide. Lager the beer for two weeks at 33-40° F.