Makes 1 pan
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted, unbleached flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup Hobgoblin, heated to 140° F
- 1 cup raisins (heat them with the beer so they plump)
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger, 1 cup dried cranberries in place of the raisins, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
Step by Step:
Heat oven to 350° F. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, molasses and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients and add to molasses mixture alternately with heated beer and raisins, beating after each addition.
Stir in raisins. Pour into a greased 9 x 12 inch pan and bake 40 to 45 minutes.
Serve warm with heavy cream whipped with superfine sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of ginger.