Brooklyn Pennant Pale Ale ’55 clone
five gallons, extract with grains; OG = 1.055 to 1.056; FG = 1.015 to 1.016; SRM = 15; IBUs = 27
- 11 oz. U.S. crystal malt (80° Lovibond)
- 4 oz. Belgian biscuit malt
- 6 lbs. Muntons extra-light dry malt extract (DME)
- 7 oz. malto-dextrin
- 6 AAUs Willamette hops (1.5 oz. at 4% alpha acid) for 60 minutes (bittering)
- 5 AAUs East Kent Goldings hops (1 oz. at 5% alpha acid) for 15 minutes (flavor)
- 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 minutes
- 2.5 AAUs East Kent Goldings (0.5 oz. at 5% alpha acid) for 1 minute (aroma)
- Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White Labs WLP002 (English Ale)
- 1-1/4 cup Muntons extra-light DME for priming
Step by step:
Bring 1/2 gallon of water to 155° F, add crushed grain and hold for 30 minutes at 150° F. Strain the grain into the brewpot and sparge with one gallon of 168° F water. Add the DME, malto-dextrin and bittering hops. Bring the total volume in the brewpot to 2.5 gallons. Boil for 45 minutes, then add the flavor hops and Irish moss.
Boil for 14 minutes, then add the aroma hops. Boil for 1 minute, then remove the pot from the stove. Cool wort for 15 minutes in an ice bath or chill with wort chiller. Strain into the primary fermenter and add water to obtain 5-1/8 gallons. Add yeast when wort has cooled to below 80°F.
Oxygenate-aerate well. Ferment at 68° F for 7 days, then rack into secondary. Ferment until target gravity has been reached and beer has cleared (approximately 3 weeks). Prime and bottle. Carbonate at 70° to 72° F for 2 to 3 weeks. Store at cellar temperature. This ale is ready to drink 1 month after it is carbonated. It will peak between 1 and 3 months and last up to 6 months.
Acidify the mash water to below 7 pH. Mash 2.33 lbs. British Maris Otter two-row pale malt and the specialty grains in 1 gallon water at 150° F for 90 minutes. Sparge with 1.5 gallons of water at 5.7 pH and 168° F. Then follow the extract recipe, omitting 2 lbs. of Muntons extra-light DME from the boil.
Acidify the mash water to below 7 pH. Mash 9.5 lbs. British Maris Otter two-row pale malt and the specialty grains in 3.5 gallons of water at 152° F for 90 minutes. Sparge with 4.75 gallons of water at 5.7 pH and 168° F. The total boil time is approximately 90 minutes. Add 4.6 AAUs of bittering hops for the last 60 minutes of the boil. Add the flavor hops, Irish moss and aroma hops as indicated by the extract recipe.