Redhook ESB clone
five gallons, extract with grain; OG = 1.058 to 1.059; FG = 1.014 to 1.015; SRM = 13 IBUs = 31
- 11 oz. U.S. crystal malt (60° Lovibond)
- 4 oz. U.S. Victory malt
- 4 lbs. Alexander’s pale malt extract syrup
- 3.5 lbs. Muntons extra-light dry malt extract
- 8 AAUs Willamette (2 oz. at 4% alpha acid) for 60 minutes (bittering)
- 2 AAUs Willamette (0.5 oz. at 4% alpha acid) for 15 minutes (flavor)
- 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 minutes
- 4.5 AAUs Tettnanger (1 oz. at 4.5% alpha acid) for 2 minutes (aroma)
- Wyeast 1968 London ESB or White Labs WLP002 (English Ale)
- 1-1/4 cup Muntons extra-light dry malt extract for priming
Step by Step:
Bring 1/2 gallon of water to 155° F, add crushed grain and hold for 30 minutes at 150° F. Strain the grain into the brewpot and sparge with one gallon of 168° F water. Add the malt extract syrup, dry malt extract and bittering hops. Bring the total volume in the brewpot to 2.5 gallons. Boil for 45 minutes, then add the flavor hops and Irish moss. Boil for 13 minutes, then add the aroma hops. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove the pot from the stove. Cool wort for 15 minutes in an ice bath or chill with wort chiller. Strain into the primary fermenter and add water to obtain 5-1/8 gallons. Add yeast when wort has cooled to below 80° F.
Oxygenate-aerate well. Ferment at 68° F for 7 days then rack into secondary. Ferment until target gravity has been reached and beer has cleared (approximately 3 weeks). Prime and bottle. Carbonate at 70° to 72° F for 2 to 3 weeks. Store at cellar temperature.
This ESB is ready to drink 1 month after it is carbonated. It will peak between 1 and 3 months and will last for 6 months.
Acidify the mash water to below 7 pH. Mash 2 lbs. U.S. two-row pale malt and the specialty grains in 1 gallon water at 150° F for 90 minutes. Sparge with 1.5 gallons of water at 5.7 pH and 168° F. Follow the extract recipe, omitting 1.75 lbs. of Muntons extra-light DME from the boil.
Acidify the mash water to below 7 pH. Mash 10.5 lbs. U.S. two-row pale malt and specialty grains in 3.75 gallons of water at 152° for 90 minutes. Sparge with 5 gallons of water at 5.7 pH and 168° F. The total boil time is approximately 90 minutes. Add 6 AAUs of bittering hops for the last 60 minutes of the boil. Add the flavor hops, Irish moss and aroma hops as indicated by the extract recipe.