JM’s Nut Brown Ale
5 gallons; extract
- 4 lbs. pale malt extract (Alexander’s Sun Country)
- 2.2 lbs. (can) of Morgan’s Specialty Grain malt extract, dark crystal
- 1 oz. Fuggles whole leaf hops (4.5% alpha acid), for 60 min.
- 1 oz. Cascade whole leaf hops (5.5% alpha), 0.5 oz. for 30 min., 0.5 oz. for 10 min.
- 2 tsp. gypsum (as needed)
- 1/2 tsp. Irish moss
- Muntons ale yeast
- 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
Step by Step:
Bring malts, gypsum (optional), and Fuggle hops to a boil in 1.5 gals. of water.
Boil 30 minutes and add the 0.5 oz. Cascade hops. Boil 20 minutes and add 0.5 oz. Cascade hops and Irish moss. Boil 10 minutes more for a total boil of 60 minutes.
Cool rapidly to pitching temperature, sparge well, and pitch with rehydrated ale yeast. Let primary ferment for at least 10 days, then rack and bottle with bottling sugar. Let age for at least 30 days.