5 gallons, grain and extract; OG = 1.092; FG = 1.020-1.024
- 7 lbs. domestic two-row malt
- 1 lb. cara-pils malt
- 6.5 lbs. light liquid malt extract
- 1 lb. orange blossom honey
- 1 oz. Perle hops (10% alpha acid) for 60 min.
- 2.5 oz. Tettnanger hops (4% alpha acid): 1.5 oz. for 30 min., 1 oz. for 15 min.
- 1 oz. Crystal hops at end of boil
- Wyeast 1056 (American ale yeast)
- 1/2 cup priming sugar
Step by Step:
Mash grains into 2.5 gal. of water and hold for a 60 min. conversion at 152° F. Sparge with 168° F water collecting 5 gal. of runoff.
Bring to boil while dissolving malt extract and honey. Total boil is 90 min. Boil 30 min. and add 1 oz. Perle hops. Boil 30 min. more and add 1.5 oz. Tettnanger hops. Boil 15 min. more and add 1 oz. Tettnanger. Boil 15 min. more, turn off heat, and add 1 oz. Crystal hops. Cool and aerate. Pitch yeast at 70° F.
Ferment at 58° to 70° F. Age for one to two months before bottling with corn sugar and fresh yeast.
Written by BYO Staff
This unconventional Barleywine is light in color but non-compromising in strength. It could also be called James Blonde.