I have a fermentation issue with a New England IPA I just brewed. It’s been in the fermenter at ~65 °F (18 °C) for 22 days and it is taking longer to finish fermenting than usual. By now it should have been finishing fermentation below 1.020, but I have two fermenters over 1.020 (1.022 and 1.024); the other one is 1.018 (I brew 50-L/13 gal. batches and split them into (3) 5-gallon (19-L) fermenters). This time I made a 3-L (3-qt.) starter with one vial of White Labs WLP008 (East Coast Ale). Two days ago, I used another WLP008 vial and added a third of the vial in each fermenter. I see activity from the airlock but it is taking a lot of time. My inquiry here is what I should do next? Should I add another WLP008 vial? The final gravity should be around 1.012–1.015. I have two different hydrometers, so I trust the measurements. I mashed a blend of pale malt, malted oats, white wheat malt, and Vienna malt at 151 °F (66 °C) for an hour. the starting gravity was 1.061.
Whenever there seems to be an attenuation problem with a batch, I think it always helps to go through a mental check list of the basics. This checklist of mine includes the
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.